Recently I worked with a not for profit with member clubs spread across two states to develop a policy to help clubs and the Executive manage proactive and reactive media relations.
The policy featured:
- The objectives or why the organisation will engage the media in the coming 12 months.
- An encouragement for clubs to proactively engage their local media outlets as way of telling communities what they and the larger organisation is doing.
- Tools to help clubs such as pre-packaged media backgrounders, fact sheets, templates, speaking points and standard paragraphs for media alerts and media releases.
- Advice on how to access localised media contact lists.
- Guidance on handling media relations in crisis and advocacy situations.
- A media release review process - for all levels - so key players in the organisation know what is to be presented to journalists and what might make news.
- Tips for recycling earned media coverage so that office holders, members and key supporters know what the press is reporting.
- Social media guidelines so what is presented online is consistent with what is presented to traditional media.