Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Stage Fright Is Not Nice But Necessary

In recent years I must have given hundreds of talks to different groups across Australia.

All have been about communications, PR or marketing. I have spoken to groups at workplace seminars, big conferences and, at times around kitchen tables in rural areas.

I still get nervous before each presentation, whether the audience is a group of critical professionals or enthusiastic volunteers eager to learn about the fundamentals of communications.

Over the years I have come to appreciate the value of stage fright before a presentation. It keeps you sharp, focussed and always keen to do your best. Complacency alongside poor preparation ranks among the worst things a speaker can display.

One thing that helps me before a talk is to visualise a happy ending where the audience leaves the room satisfied they now know something new that will help them in the future.

So while I may not like pre-event nerves, I have come to accept them as necessary.

How do you steady your nerves before talking to a group of strangers?

No comments: