Monday, April 4, 2011

Write Well And Win Attention

I was in the military for years so I grew up with a stiff, formal and jargon-laden writing style.

I had to change when I entered PR but it took years to bring a more relaxed tone to my writing.

Five things I learned along the way are:

•Always opt for simple language over formal structures and if given the choice select a 25 cent word over a $10 one every time. 25 cent words are the simple words we use in everyday conversation.

• Shorter sentences are punchier sentences. Keep sentences short and certainly to 25 words or less. Sentences with too many words drain the energy from readers.

• Write in the active rather than passive voice. This helps to convey a sense of urgency, impact and energy. Passive language tends to clog up communication.

• Each word and every sentence must justify its existence. Eliminate unnecessary language.

• Get an independent assessment of your writing. I routinely use the Flesch-Kincaid readability tool in Microsoft Word and the UK software, StyleWriter, to rate my writing. And often I will ask someone to review an important piece of work before I send it off.

We are under enormous time pressures these days, so clear writing is at a premium.

No comments: